He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he enables me to stand on the heights... 2 Sam 22:34 (NIV)

Thursday, March 26, 2009

Are you teachable?

While we were on Spring Break we did a "behind the scenes" tour of SeaWorld's dolphin training area. I was blown away by the relationships between the trainers and the dolphins. At one point we were ushered into an observation area where we were introduced to 7 dolphin trainers. Each trainer had 3 dolphins they were responsible for. The trainer we worked with knew each of his dolphins by name and could identify them from the other 18 dolphins. It was amazing how these animals responded to his call and how they recognized his face. They also took great pleasure in showing how well trained they were. Check out this video and see if you don't see some spiritual correlations.



Here's what this video reminds me of:

1. In John 10 Jesus said "I am the good shepherd; I know my sheep and my sheep know me-- John 10:14 (NIV) As I admired the relationship between the trainer and the dolphins, I couldn't help but be amazed that out of the billions of people on the planet, God not only recognizes me but knows me intimately, He cares for me by meeting my needs in ways that are amazing, and He is always training me as I am conformed to His image.

2. Jesus also said "My sheep listen to my voice; I know them, and they follow me.
John 10:27 (NIV) Although we don't hear His audible voice, His Word is clearly heard as the Spirit gives us understanding of the Scriptures. His commands are clear and compelling and a joy to carry out. I was reminded of this truth as our dolphin trainer gave a series of commands. If he waved the dolphins would wave back with their flippers. If he twirled his finger, they turned in circles. If he patted the wall, the jumped up on top of the wall so we could pet them. My personal favorite was the gesture that made these graceful animals do a back flip that drenched us all. Amazing, all those responses with a simple hand motion with no words.

3. We were only given 30 minutes to give commands and feed the dolphins. We were warned that sometimes the dominant male dolphin would interrupt the show just to show his dominance. Sure enough, he did everything he could to disrupt our time together with these amazing creatures. It reminded me of how many times the devil tries to disrupt our time with the Lord. He has all kinds of tricks to get us distracted. I asked the trainer how he dealt with the constant interruptions from "bully dolphin". I thought his answer was very Scriptural. He said, "We are aware of what he is doing and why and we stay focused on our most important relationships". It reminded me of what the author of Hebrews said: "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus, the author and perfecter of our faith, who for the joy set before him endured the cross, scorning its shame, and sat down at the right hand of the throne of God. Consider him who endured such opposition from sinful men, so that you will not grow weary and lose heart.
Heb 12:2-3 (NIV)

4. One other amazing thing. Each of these dolphins was rescued by SeaWorld. These animals would have died without intervention, constant care, and ongoing nurturing. The same is true of us. Paul put it this way: "For he has rescued us from the dominion of darkness and brought us into the kingdom of the Son he loves, in whom we have redemption, the forgiveness of sins."
Col 1:13-14 (NIV)

For me this 30 minute encounter was a great reminder to stay focused on Jesus, be hungry to learn/grow from Him, and never forget what He did for us. If a dolphin would do so much for the reward of a couple of cold, dead fish, how much more should we be willing to become for the One who gave His all so we could be redeemed!

No comments: