He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he enables me to stand on the heights... 2 Sam 22:34 (NIV)

Friday, July 25, 2008

Simple Summer Pleasures


It finally happened. Our family actually went on vacation and witnessed a first for me. I chilled the whole time and loved it. That may sound like a weird statement but you have to understand that it has taken years to get me to this point. Up until very recently, vacation (in my adventurous mind) was all about how much of an adrenaline rush I could get in a day. For me, it just wasn't a beach vacation unless I para-sailed, boogie boarded, ocean kayaked, snorkeled, and deep sea fished...preferably all in one day!
Ask Amy about the time we rode jet skis. We got a brief lesson on safety and all I heard was "these things will go 60 mph". I didn't hear the part where the instructor said, "Don't go that fast because the water is too choppy today". Amy jumped on the back and we took off. She enjoyed it all until I turned a little too sharp. Nothing scarier than seeing your bride launched from the back of a jet ski. Amy was a good sport though. She landed and laughed and laughed. She broke her toe but was very forgiving (a quality that is required when living with me!)
To prove my point of being a full throttle, adrenaline junkie, our family went to the OBX (Outer Banks of North Carolina) one year. Mr. adventure actually signed up to kayak in an alligator reserve...complete with live gators in the water. I was the only person to show up for the tour. Imagine that! When I saw the first gator, I asked my guide how close I could get before the gator got ticked. The guide said "You'll know". I drifted toward the gator until he started slapping his huge tail in the water while laying on the bank. I now know this is a gator-speak for "get out of my space". Yes, I would do it all again but that's not the point of this blog.
What's the point? To celebrate the fact that I have come a long way from the "cram as much as you can into vacation" days. I know this because I didn't need a vacation after we got home from vacation!
Seriously, the biggest lesson I have learned is to cherish every moment with my family. I was extremely content this year making sand castles and taking the girls out on floats in the "big waves" at Destin. I was content to sleep on the beach or read the paper. If you know me at all, I hardly ever read anything that doesn't have to do with ministry so this was a biggie for me.
I used to love to get up really early and go for a long run on the beach. This year I tried to win the "sleep in" contest with the girls. In the past I have had a really hard time sitting through a whole family movie. This year I fully embraced all the movies we watched.
You wouldn't think I would have to "work so hard" to chillax, but trust me, if you are a really driven, results-oriented person like me, vacations can be a challenge.
I knew I had made it over the hump when I was content to leave my Treo in the car or hotel room. I am rarely without my "office in my pocket" and I really don't like to disconnect from technology. I typically get severe technology withdrawal. This year on vacation, I can honestly say I didn't send a single email, didn't twitter at all, and wasn't even tempted to jott or blog. That was a defining moment for me! Hopefully it will stick and I will learn the beauty of just doing nothing but soaking in the blessings of those God has placed around me...even on vacation.

1 comment:

Alison said...

This is my goal at the beach this year! Hopefully I can just relax and have fun!

Poor Amy - a broken toe - ouch!