He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he enables me to stand on the heights... 2 Sam 22:34 (NIV)

Thursday, July 24, 2008

Stuck



When we first got Shadow as a puppy, it was fun to watch her pick her favorite places to take a nap. Like most puppies she picked a small place where she could be protected and feel secure. That place was usually under my chair. It was cute at first but it has now turned into a pain. You see, she really doesn't fit under my chair anymore. She can physically crawl under there but after a good nap she wakes up to realize she is STUCK. She starts to whine and someone typically has to pull her out. I keep telling her she needs a bigger place but it hasn't sunk in yet.


We are all like Shadow. We want things to stay the same. We get used to certain patterns. We prefer our ruts. We get STUCK. To be honest God has bigger and better things for us.


Col. 2:7 says it well: " Let your roots grow down into him, and let your lives be built on him. Then your faith will grow strong in the truth you were taught, and you will overflow with thankfulness."


As God brings growth in us, he calls us to new places and experiences. We simply cannot stay where we are and go with God. I'm willing to sacrifice the comfortable and familiar in exchange for what God has for me. No more getting STUCK. How about you? Be honest...where do you get stuck?

1 comment:

Unknown said...

change hurts.....but i had a friend tell me that we only grow when we are uncomfortable. mmm.....i've thought about that alot in the past few years.