He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he enables me to stand on the heights... 2 Sam 22:34 (NIV)

Wednesday, August 6, 2008

Out of nowhere



When I work out I typically require two things: an element of risk/adventure and my ipod blaring my favorite tunes. I've had lots of great adventures lately learning about some pretty amazing bike trails around our house. So far I've learned most country roads have a mean dog as a security system and they will chase you and try to bite you. I've also learned what gear to put it in when you accidentally ride through a bumble bee swarm and what to do when you come face to face with a rattle snake on the bike trail.


This morning I attempted to have a "normal person" work out. I rode my bike through a new neighborhood and was enjoying looking at houses in various stages of construction. I was even listening to mellow music on my nano. I was thinking through some things God spoke to me this morning and worshipping on this "normal person" work out.



All the sudden, everything changed. As I was minding my own business I saw two construction workers in the distance. As soon as they saw me, they dropped their tools and started running. Being the observant person I am, I thought "This cannot be good!" I could hear them yelling something but I knew they weren't yelling at me. I had my tunes cranked so I couldn't hear their exact words but I can read lips pretty good and I recognized some verbage I used to use. Again, I thought this cannot be good!



Then I saw what all the commotion was about. One of the guys took his dog to work. Both these guys were yelling at the dog telling it to stay still and not attack me. At first the dog stayed in the yard but the thought of biting me was just too tempting. So the dog bolted straight for me and he was all teeth.



In a fleeting moment I considered my options. I could:
  1. Peddle faster to try to get away. I knew that wouldn't work because he was huge and already biting my shoe.
  2. Kick him or mace him. Probably not the best idea since construction workers don't take kindly to people messing with their dogs!
  3. Start humming a new song I learned from my friend Phil. I really wasn't into humming at the moment though.

So I did what seemed extremely counter intuitive and slowed down and talked gently to the dog. It took a couple of phrases and some direct eye contact but it worked. He totally backed off and walked away.

As I was riding home to change my shorts, I was reminded that that "out of nowhere" experience is alot like our most intense exchanges with people. That dog was simply trying to protect his turf. He felt threatened and did what came naturally.

People do the same thing. We all have go into protection mode at times. In certain situations we tend to feel threatened or scared and we start baring our teeth. It can get pretty ugly at times, but I am reminded that just like this morning, the Word says "A gentle answer turns away wrath, but a harsh word stirs up anger. Prov 15:1 (NIV)

A gentle answer this morning spared me the pain of being bitten. A gentle answer in my next volatile discussion with someone will not only spare the pain but will go a long ways towards helping someone see that words are either weapons of destruction or encouragement. The choice is ours.

Notes to self: don't ride down that same street until the houses are done. Check into this "Dog Whispering" thing. It might make for some good reality TV!

No comments: