He makes my feet like the feet of a deer; he enables me to stand on the heights... 2 Sam 22:34 (NIV)

Saturday, August 2, 2008

The Purpose of the Journey

I've been reading through Romans in my quiet time but recently the Lord drew me back to a key verse (Exodus 19:4). I love divine detours because they are God's way of refocusing me on His priorities over my own selfish desires. What a great reminder to know that our journey here on earth is not just about the next destination or project or even what we consider successful. It's all about being drawn to Him. While the Israelites focused on getting to the Promised Land, God focused on getting to their hearts. While the Israelites whined at times about their circumstances, God used those circumstances to draw them to Himself. I have been reminded in a fresh way this past week that no matter what the situation, if we are looking for God in the journey He will reveal how He is bringing us to Himself.

  • My times of greatest joy are a reminder that He is bringing me to Himself
  • My times of confusion require me to seek His face not just for an answer but to be drawn to Him
  • My times of disappointment reveal that He is bigger than my circumstances and even in the midst of hardship He is building character, He wants to draw me to Himself.
  • My journey takes unexpected turns, but that is alright. He has taught me to embrace the journey because He is drawing me to Himself.

I will make it to the Promised Land, but in the meantime the most important part of the journey is being drawn to Him.

No comments: